Burundi, Rwanda, DRC, Uganda
14 Days In Great Lakes
Time & Location
Burundi, Rwanda, DRC, Uganda
About the Event
Welcome to the panoramic Great lakes of Africa. During those 14 days, you will explore almost what Africa offers in general. From the rich Rwanda History and cultural experience to the authentic and natural Congo lifestyle. From the green landscapes and Nile river source pyramid of Burundi countryside to the spectacular wild animals in Uganda, you will have that lifetime experience closer to the famous mountain and lowland gorillas, chimpanzees, big five animals and a number of experiences with different indigenous tribes….
Day 1: Arriving in Burundi
- You will meet Mr. Audace Ndabahawe, our very own representative in Bujumbura who will greet you in style and respect. He speaks English and French very well in addition to his local and community leadership experience. He will take you to the Hotel where you will rest.
- If time allows, you will visit the downtown before retiring in your bed.
Day 2: Gitega and Speke pyramid
- After breakfast, you will do a short city tour and visit the splendid Tanganyika Beach before driving to Gitega area in the countryside. You will have to meet the local community in a farming style deployed in the very green hills along the way…Continuing to the source of the Nile as discovered by SPEKE and stopover at his pyramid to show the root of the longest river in the world. After that, you will have lunch and test the local beer in Gitega city before driving back to Bujumbura.
- Over the evening, retire in your 3 stars Hotel.
Day 3: Driving to Rwanda
- After a taken-at-normal-time breakfast, you will drive some 4 or 5 hours up to the Rwanda border and cross immediately. You will meet our precious guide (Obed) in Rwanda who will take care of you until the last minutes of your trip.
- After crossing, you will have Lunch in Nyamata city 50 km from Kigali. After that, you will continue driving toward Kigali where you will retire in your Hotel.
- Over the evening, before sleeping, you can test the local restaurant and enjoy a walk on the cleanest streets in Africa.
Day 4 : Kigali to Nyungwe
- After breakfast, you will do a short Kigali city tour and visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial, where you will travel in history and experience the bloodiest and most recent genocide of humanity. From here you will be amazed by the great success of a tiny and poor country like Rwanda has managed to build above the fresh wounds.
- After that, you will start driving toward the biggest tropical rainforest in East Africa, and the home of 20% of African-wide monkeys.
- Reaching there around 3 pm, you will get out of the car and start walking in the bottom of the forest and challenge yourself by walking on an extended above the forest canopy that will give an endless view of the dark forest in which monkeys and endemic spectacular bed fly from tree to tree.
- Over the evening, you will retire in the eco-lodge near the forest.
Day 6 : Nyungwe to Bukavu
- After breakfast, you will trek the famous colobus monkeys known as white tie monkeys in their natural environment. They live in a colony and used to fly from branch to branch. They are among the attractions of 13 species found in Nyungwe Forest National Park.
- After trekking, you will drive to the Congo border and stop over in Rusizi town for lunch. You will get your fresh food in one of the local restaurants at the edge of lake Kivu shores.
- After that, you will cross to the Democratic Republic of Congo and check in at the hotel immediately
- Before sunset, we can walk for a short Bukavu city tour and experience the Congolese lifestyle in their daily activities.
Day 7: Lowland Gorillas Trekking
- After an early breakfast, with your packed lunch, you will have to drive 1 hour to the Tchivanga gorilla trekking post in Kahuzi-Biega National Park where you will get a briefing and start trekking the famous lowland gorillas in their authentic home. Living in a family, you will trek one of the existing families in the park and get back to Tchivanga post for a comment about your experience.
- After trekking, you will drive to Bukavu city and retire in the Hotel.
Day 8 : Bukavu to Goma Via Idjwi Island
- After breakfast, you will get to the port for taking a speed boat to Idjwi Island which is the largest African landlocked Island. On the island, you will meet the pygmies tribe with whom you will have an experience by visiting their village on the island and trying the local boat near the green lake Kivu side.
- After lunch at a local restaurant, you will wait for the speed boat to take you to Goma city which is the most beautiful tourist in the country.
- Over the evening, you will retire in the Hotel near the shores.
Day 9: Nyiragongo Hiking up
- After breakfast, you will go hiking the most active volcano in Africa and visit the largest lava lake in the world. You will spend almost 6 hours reaching the summit and checking in the shelters near the crater rim. After the sun set, the view will be fascinating to retain you for some hours before your dinner is ready.
Day 10: Nyiragongo Hiking down
- After an early breakfast, you will start hiking down and reach out back at the Kibati post where you will comment about your experience before retiring to your Hotel.
Day 11: Mountain Gorilla Trekking in Congo
- After Breakfast, you will drive to the bottom of Mikeno Volcano and Visit the biggest primates in the world. They are found only in this part of the earth and that will definitely be one of the insights of your safari in Africa.
- Plan B: Cross to Rwanda and do the Musanze Caves, you will get into the underground communication created by a volcano eruption. 1 km in the hell will let you touch the tangible darkness in 1oom deep. After that challenge, you will have lunch in the Muzanze local restaurant after which you will go for a village walk where you will get to dance and drum with the famous Rwandan INTORE.
- Before sunset, drive some one hour to Uganda and retire in the Hotel at Lake Bunyonyi shores.
Day 12 : Lake Bunyonyi-Kazinga Channel-Kibale Forest National Park
- After breakfast, you will experience the local fishing activity and explore one of the most beautiful lakes in Africa, Lake Bunyonyi... Here, bird watching is incredible. You will Visit the zebra island before driving to Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- Arriving at around 3 pm, you will get in the boat for a tour of the Kazinga Channel. During this boat trip, you will have a chance to see the Elephant in groups, water Buffalos, hippos, crocodiles, bush pigs, antelopes, and a very good number of water and bush birds. Remember, the Kazinga channel is the home of the big number of hippos in the world.
- After the boat trip, you will continue to drive up to Kibale National Park and retire in the lodge inside the park.
- Kibale is home to a big number of chimpanzees in the world and has a very good number of flying monkeys...
Day 13: Chimpanzee trekking and drive straight to Kampala
- After breakfast, you will start the chimpanzees trekking in the forest. You will be lucky to see a very big family of 40, 50 up to 80 chimpanzees at once. Kibale Forest Has been ranked as the best place to trek wild chimpanzees in their natural habitat.
- After lunch, you will drive straight to Kampala, the capital city of Uganda, and stop over the EQUATOR sign and have a souvenir picture.
- You will reach Kampala at the sunset and retire in the 3 stars hotel.
Day 14: Kampala city tour
- After breakfast, you will tour the capital city and visit also the Victoria beach before checking in at the airport for flying back home.
14 Days In Great Lakes
This includes: - Transport - Accommodation (3 and 4 stars on international standards) - All visit permits, entry fees, community tips... - Guiding and other services ( English speaking drivers and field guides - All meals and soft drinks (Breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks during different trekking) - Porters where required. - DRC tourist Visa Not included: - Rwanda and Uganda Visa fees - Flights and Travel insurance - Alcoholic beers preferred liquorsUS$3,850.00